School of Film/Video
CalArts Student Academy Film Award Winners
37th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 12, 2010
Lifeline, Andres Salaff
- A brilliant scientist travels through various dimensions and realms in search of his lost love.
35th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 7, 2008
Zoologic, Nicole Mitchell
- A fussy zookeeper maintains strict order in his zoo by arranging the animals to his liking.
33rd Annual Student Academy Awards
June 10, 2006
The Possum, Chris Choy
- An apple farmer and a possum fight to the finish.
30th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 8, 2003
The Projects Lumiere, Waleed Moursi
- A modern look at the Lumiere brothers’ style of filmmaking. A one shot movie using only a static camera.
29th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 9, 2002
The Velvet Tigress, Jen Sachs
- A chronicle of the 1931 Winnie Ruth Judd “Trunk Murders” trial.
28th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 10, 2001
"Boobie” Girl, Brooke Keesling.
- A young girl learns that one must be careful what one wishes for.
27th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 11, 2000
Al Tudi Tuhak (Long,Long Ago), Tod Polson
- Inspired by the art and myth of tribes of the Northwest coast.
26th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 13, 1999
Between the Lines, Jamie Maxfield
- An animated sketchbook on figure drawing.
21st Annual Student Academy Awards
June 12, 1994
The Janitor, Vanessa Stella Schwartz
- God has a...Janitor?
Street Songs: Pittsburgh Street Singer Bill Dorsey, Craig McTurk
- A street singer remains optimistic despite blindness, poverty and family abuse.
20th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 13, 1993
The Wind, Drew King
- A colorful world of theater and dance comes alive inside a sleeping man's clock.
Seven Lucky Charms, Lisa Mann
- Exploring the emotional reality of battered women.
19th Annual Student Academy Awards
June 14, 1992
Next Door, Peter H. Docter
- A man has his dull, orderly routine interupted by the noisy kid next door.
15th Annual Student Film Awards
June 12, 1988
Why, Suzanne Dimant
- The story of a starving third-world infant, set to a song by Harry Chapin.
13th Annual Student Film Awards
June 8, 1986
Songs of Wool: Vena Tipton's Hooked Rugs, Cathey Edwards
- An intimate portrait of a 91-year-old folk artist. The hundreds of hooked rugs which cover the walls and floors of her home offer a direct window into her philosophy and life experiences.
12th Annual Student Film Awards
June 16, 1985
Observational Hazard, William G. Kopp
- Violence, sex, birth, television and their effects on a hapless individual.
11th Annual Student Film Awards
June 10, 1984
Mr. Gloom, William G. Kopp
- As Mr. Gloom walks through one obstacle after another, a phantom hand pulls him into a cartoon fantasy world.
9th Annual Student Film Awards
June 6, 1982
Guess Who's for Dinner, Kathy Zielinski
- Spinach monster attacks a child during dinner.
8th Annual Student Film Awards
June 7, 1981
Commuter, Michael M. Patterson
- A close look at a member of the city workforce seen in the context of a machine-like metro-environment.
7th Annual Student
June 8, 1980
Nitemare, John Lasseter
- A small boy has a nightmare.
6th Annual Student Film Awards
June 3, 1979
Lady and the Lamp, John Lasseter
- A story of a lamp from a broken home that eventually finds happiness.
4th Annual Student Film Awards
May 22, 1977
The Muse, Paul W. Demeyer
- The struggle between the creator and his creative mind (inspiration) and where it all ends.
3rd Annual Student Film Awards
June 23, 1976
Fame, Mark Kirkland, Richard Jefferies
- Graphically animated film made to the song "Fame" by David Bowie.