Dear School of Film/Video students, faculty, and staff,
Here are the latest construction updates on our animation facilities, particularly the A-Block (A115 & A221) project on campus, repairing areas damaged by the overflowing cooling tower last June.
A-Block Renovation Project
- The restoration project reached a big milestone at the end of September: All of the structural construction has been completed.
- Our construction partner Gilbane is now remodeling the interior spaces, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and technology.
- We expect to move in March 2023. Keep in mind that global supply chain issues and staffing shortages can affect our progress.
- As a safety reminder, please stay out of the construction areas. There is currently no access to A115 (Experimental Animation) or A221 (Character Animation) due to the renovation work.
- In addition to the Town Center workspace, we recently opened another computer lab with Cintiqs in Bungalow 1A and a new workspace in Bungalow 1B. Both spaces are located on the main campus and are available to Character Animation students 24/7. The Bungalow 1B workspace offers open tables, lighted animation desks, and open storage. Keys are available in the Film/Video office.
- Butler Building 4 (BB4), with its renovated stop-motion studios, has reopened for Experimental Animation students.
We continue to work with a small discussion group of student representatives from Character and Experimental Animation for feedback on the new spaces. At the last discussion on Oct. 13, the students provided feedback on creative signage for the spaces, furniture for the common areas, and a “sit test” of task chairs.
Thanks to student reps:
Town Center Shuttle Schedule
AM: 7:45, 8:45, 9:45, 10:45, 11:45,
PM: 12:45, 1:45, 2:45, 3:45, 4:45, 5:45, 6:45, 7:45, 8:45, 9:45, 10:45
Final drop-off at 11:45 pm
CalArts Main Campus
AM: 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30,
PM: 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30
Final drop-off at 12:15am
AM: 9, 10, 11
PM 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,
Final pick-up at 12 am
We will continue to update you on our progress. Please see the Animation Facilities webpage which houses all the reconstruction and space updates.
Thanks to our Film/Video community for their continued support and patience as we work through these challenges together.
Dean, School of Film/Video